Now that you have braces, how do you take care of them? It is very important for you to know
how to properly take care of your braces throughout your orthodontic treatment.
You will need to take special care to avoid any foods that could damage your new appliances.
Foods to avoid with Braces:
- Chewy foods – bagels, licorice
- Crunchy foods – popcorn, chips, ice
- Sticky foods – caramel candies, chewing gum
- Hard foods – nuts, hard candies
- Foods that require biting into – corn on the cob, apples, carrots
Foods that you CAN eat with Braces:
- Dairy – soft cheese, pudding, milk-based drinks
- Breads – soft tortillas, pancakes, muffins without nuts
- Grains – pasta, soft cooked rice
- Meats/poultry – soft cooked chicken, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafood – tuna, salmon, crabcakes
- Vegetables – mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, beans
- Fruits – applesauce, bananas, fruit juice
- Treats – ice cream without nuts, milkshakes, Jell-O, soft cakes
When you first get your braces, your mouth and teeth feel a little tender or sore. This is perfectly
normal. To relieve the pain, we recommend gargling with a solution of one teaspoon of salt in
eight oz. of lukewarm water. If the pain is more severe, you can try taking a pain reliever. You
can also put wax on the braces to lessen the tenderness. If any wires or bands come loose, please
contact us soon, so that we can check and repair your appliance. Be sure to save any loose parts,
and bring them to the office with you.
Feel free to call our office when you experience severe pain or have a painful appliance problem
you can't take care of yourself. We will schedule an appointment at the earliest convenient time
to resolve the problem.